a pumpkin painting

A few weeks ago, that creative itch crept up on me and I decided to do a painting. On a large canvas. Of a white pumpkin.

I was as shocked as could be at the finished product.

Truthfully, I had no idea I could do this. I’m not a painter and hadn’t a clue what I was doing.

I just started brushing on layers of color {latex paint leftover from various walls in our house} using my kids’ artist brushes. For accents I grabbed a couple of those little tubes of craft paint and mixed colors on a paper plate. There was nothing fancy about the process and like I said, I was amazed when I stepped back and took in what these untrained hands created.

The pumpkin painting now hangs proudly on the dining room wall – which you see from the entry through the large hanging window.

I took it in to our local frame shop and promptly walked out after I learned it would cost $275 for the frame I wanted. No thank you. But I do think it needs something to anchor it against this light wall, so we’re thinking about making our own.

So here’s my encouragement for this weekend:

even if you don’t have formal training

even if you doubt your skills

give something new a try.

Do a craft. Make a new recipe. Pull out your sewing machine. Dig in the dirt. Paint a pumpkin.

You never know what creativity lies within you unless you give yourself a chance to try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

116 Responses to a pumpkin painting

1. Harbormom September 21, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I am not, nor have I ever been a decorator. But I used to design needlepoint canvases and I taught smocking, heirloom and basic sewing/design to adult women for many years. Please, please, PLEASE don’t put a frame on that picture. As it hangs, the wall disappears from around the striking soft grey background, and the pumpkin is the absolute focal point. It’s stunning.

• I'm With Harbormom September 22, 2012 at 11:37 am #

I totally agree with Harbormom! Don’t frame it! It’s perfect as is!

2. Harbormom September 21, 2012 at 9:03 am #

P.S. I meant to also say that the ‘unfinished’ edge of the canvas gives an optical illusion of a ‘frame.’

3. shelley September 21, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Emily ~ it’s missing one other thing… the artist’s signature :)

4. Rachel Palmbush September 21, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Um, Emily, are you kidding? This is amazing! I have a feeling paintings might be coming soon to your shop!

5. Lydia September 21, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Great painting! You can actually make your own frame…extremely cheap. Buy any molding you like from lowes, get it cut on 45 degree angle, paint it, use wood glue to hold together & staples. I made one out of crown molding that was 6 ft. X 4 ft. & it costed $40.

6. Julie B September 21, 2012 at 10:17 am #

U rock! Hope you don’t mind just posted this on one of my pinterest boards and gave you MAJOR credit!,

7. Amy Moe September 21, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I have to say that absolutely love your website and ALL of your posts. I have pinned and tried some of your tutorials- just need more time to try the rest- they are easy and fun.

This pumpkin is beautiful. You did a magnificent job. Thank you for inspiring all to just do something even if you don’t know what you are doing. I love that kind spice- just try. I will go out and have fun at what I am doing today. Thank you.

• Amy Moe September 21, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Also, your computer digital signature is a pretty display with the copyrighted symbol and swirls along with the Jones Design Company name- it would look great as a card along with your symbol/signature.

8. Sharon Herbitter September 21, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Beautiful job! I’m inspired!!!

9. Jen @ RamblingRenovators September 21, 2012 at 10:33 am #

That is truly inspiring! What a beautiful painting. There is talent there… hope you do more!

10. Angela September 21, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Wow, that is crazy good! I only wish I could do something like that! You should be proud! The detail is amazing!

11. amyks September 21, 2012 at 11:01 am #

To echo the sentiment of everyone here, that is beautiful!!!

12. Kristen September 21, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Lovely! My trick when I paint something and don’t want to buy a frame is to paint the edge of the canvas {the part perpendicular with the painting and the wall} a black or dark brown. It gives it polish and dimension, I think, without the expense!

13. Linda Leyble September 21, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Hey Emily – what a fantastic job. Now everyone will be painting pumpkins – just in time for Halloween and Thanksgiving! Great idea on the whites and off-whites etc – I have painted pumpkins their actual color and they don’t look as good as in your white version! And I’m an artist! I have to give this a go. Really great idea.

I have a tutorial on my blog this week on creating a painting using metallic foils. This is for non artists – take a peek.

Great job!

Linda

14. Lindsay at Life of Splendor September 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I LOVE this painting! I saw it on your Instagram a little while back and was so impressed! I’ve always wanted to try to paint, although like you said, I have no experience whatsoever. But I love what you did and want to give it a try! It’s so beautiful

15. Jen O'Brien September 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Awesome!!! The soft whites are perfect, Happy Fall!

16. Sarah Barksdale Design September 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

I love your painting! You did a great job, no one would ever know you weren’t a trained painter! Thanks for sharing!

17. Lisa September 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

It’s gorgeous – LOVE the colors. I agree with the others . . . I would buy one!

18. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage September 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

It is wonderful! Bravo! You really need to make this into a print and sell it!

19. Catherine September 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Please, please, please sell some prints of this! I just loooooove it!!!! Wow, you really know how to scratch a creative itch….

20. Catherine September 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Also? I forgot to say that I think it looks perfect unframed. I love how you left the edge of the canvas showing. It looks fabulous. Really.

21. linda September 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Unbelievably crazy gorgeous. You are amazingly creative, Emily. I agree with Melaine…you’ve got to sell these! Oh, and as an aside, are you going to be teaming up with Lindsey to do any more prints??

22. Wendy September 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Emily–This is absolutely gorgeous! I would love that hanging on my wall. :)

23. Rachel@D'Bohemia September 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

I am so impressed! I absolutely love the painting and am wishing I had one of my own ;) You may have encouraged me to take a stab at it. Thank you Emily!

Rachel
    xoxo

24. Apryl September 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

I love it!!!

25. Anna September 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

If you really felt like it needed to be framed use some of the brown in the stem to lightly fan or brush it around those edges. Impersonally love the white border and think you should leave it alone. Give yourself a pat on the back. It’s beautiful!

26. Maria M. September 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I know you are not fishing for compliments, but how can we not comment on how stunning this is? I’m so impressed with the level of detail you’ve achieved!!! Good for you, Emily! I rather like the unframed look of the canvas… but if you really want to frame it, you might find a good deal when Michael’s has one of their 60% off framing sales. Do you have Michael’s Craft Stores out your way?

27. jen September 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

wowza. nice work!

28. Jennifer September 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I too love it! Way to go!

29. Abbie (Five days...5 ways) September 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Now, THAT’S a pumpkin!

Seriously, Emily, it looks soooooo great, and I actually agree with everybody else that says no frame needed.

30. Cassie Kulp September 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Love this. Such good inspiration and encouragement!

31. Susan September 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

The painting is lovely and it doesn’t need a frame. It looks great on the wall just the way it is. You’ve inspired me to paint something.

32. Mindy September 21, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

LOVE this painting and your take on being creative! What an inspiration…

33. Julie September 21, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Gorgeous, Emily!!

34. Ashley September 21, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

The simplicity of this painting took my breath away! LOVE it. Please tell me you’re going to sell prints so I can buy one!

35. Ashley September 21, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

By the way, if you do sell prints, I hope you offer an extra large option the size of the original. That pumpkin is so stunning, it deserves to be BIG. I agree with others! Looks great unframed. Wouldn’t change a thing.

36. Lynne September 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

I would say you are a painter, indeed. You have the most lovely, creative spirit. Thanks for being brave and sharing this. Love it!

37. Kristen K September 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

It’s simply beautiful. I actually love it unframed. You are an inspiration.

38. valerie September 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Emily, this is gorgeous! Love the simple elegance of this painting! YOu done good! HOpe that you get it framed just as you like it!

39. Nora September 22, 2012 at 4:55 am #

Absolutely love your pumpkin! You did a fabulous job. You could make and sell a few to afford the frame you want, or work out a trade. Keep on painting hon, you’re a natural!

40. Tracy September 22, 2012 at 6:07 am #

Love it! I am inspired! Hope mine turns out as well as yours!

41. Kat@LowTideHighStyle September 22, 2012 at 9:36 am #

I think what you just discovered is that you are a painter! Some of the best in the world have no formal training, just a wonderful eye. :)

I found you through Trish at Old Post Road, and your painting is gorgeous!

Kat

42. Pat September 22, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I have been itching to paint. I am not a painter (of paintings) but I do paint the odd piece of furniture or wall every now and again. But I never ever thought of painting with spare-part paints from left over projects. I thought I had to have some special magic paint!

I love that painting. I love where you have it hanging and wouldn’t put a frame on it either.
    It could also go in a dreamy – little girls room with Cinderella theme!

thanks for the encouragement to do something different.
    …I came here via The Old Post Road… Pat

43. Stacey September 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Oh my goodness, that is wonderful and amazing! I love the soft colors you used and I agree with the previous comment that it looks beautiful without a frame.

44. sarah September 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Looks great! I’m an amatuer landscape painter, and I’d recommend getting a 40% off coupon to Michael’s craft store and checking their premade canvas frames. They have a lot of options, as do Hobby Lobby.Just ask for canvas frames. But you really don’t need a frame.

45. Lindsey September 23, 2012 at 7:08 am #

Beautiful, actually stunning, Emily! Great job! You have such an amazing creative eye for things!

46. Kelly September 23, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Oh my word! What a wonderful hidden talent you have discovered. The painting, as all the others before me have said, is gorgeous! Let’s see…what have I not tried…um…small engine repair…do you suppose that is a hidden talent within me? ha ha.
    Kelly

47. Puttin' On The GRITS September 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE this. I have zero artistic ability or I would be painting one today for my mantle. The colors are perfect. I wish you were painting and selling them!

48. Gloria September 23, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Love the white. Easy to live with, enhances any space from fall, and all thru the winter. Sweet.

49. Stephanie September 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

beautiful ~ only you could make a pumpkin look elegant! You are one talented lady.

50. Stacey September 24, 2012 at 4:33 am #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this painting!!!! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks