One of the things that made us fall in love with our new house was the third floor.
From the listing photos, we just figured the third floor was a tiny, sloped room that was more attic than usable space. We were so pleasantly surprised when we walked through the house for the first time and realized that it was much, much bigger than we expected.
Let me remind you what the space looked like when we bought the house:
With the stairwell in the center, the room stretched out identically on either side with two big windows on the outside walls. Our thought right away was to turn one side into a bedroom for our oldest son and use the other side as a playroom/hangout room. The space is bright and open with plenty of headroom even with the sloped ceiling and of course our almost-teenager was excited to have his own retreat.
First up was framing in the walls. The entrance to the room is on the right side of the stairwell and we framed in a closet on the other side of the stairs.
Once the sheetrock was up things started taking shape.
The funny thing about adding walls is that it actually feels like the third floor is more usable. All that open space made it hard to figure out how to maximize the area. Now, with a bedroom, closet and the hangout area walled off, the rooms feel more finished and we’re excited to make them functional.
Here is the space before and after side-by-side:
With the walls now up, it was time to make some design decisions. Our oldest son is the cutest and was very in to creating a design board.
His wishes for his room: snowy, cozy, woodsy, mountains, peaceful, calm colors, red, hammock swing and lots of books.
He spent some time on pinterest, found a few items he liked and we put those ideas (with a few of my picks!) into a design board.
I love creating these boards to help us pull together the vision for a room, see how things work together and get a general idea for items that might work in the room. Once it comes down to buying items and putting the room all together, I might stray from the board a little bit, but it is always helpful to get the overall feel before making purchases.
With a design pinned down, our first step was painting the walls.
The walls are currently an off-white and while it makes the space feel bright, when you look up close, the walls are super dingy. That’s what happens with white walls in kid spaces.
We did all of our walls in our old house white and while I loved it, the upstairs hallways where the kids walked through/played in were not looking so fresh only a few months after the paint was done.
In this space, even though I would prefer white walls, I knew it was not the right practical choice for this kid space.
Instead of white, we chose to paint the walls Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.
Revere Pewter is the most perfect light warm gray. I’ve used in in a handful of rooms and loved it every time.
I had the paint color matched at Home Depot (because it is convenient, less expensive and quite honestly, I don’t notice a drastic difference between BM and Behr top quality) on Friday and opened up a can to get started on Saturday morning.
The first strokes went on and it didn’t feel like the right color. It was so dark, very much gray and not warm at all.
Ryan and I went round and round until we finally just decided that it was fine. So my girlfriend stopped by, I put her to work and we made quick progress in the room.
And then this happened:
The can of paint was about halfway gone when I poured more into the tray. Erica loaded up her roller, rolled it on the wall and gasped. Suddenly the color was completely different.
Instead of being cold, dark gray, it was dirty beige.
I didn’t stir the paint.
In my defense, I figured the mechanical shaking when the paint was mixed less than 24 hours earlier would have been enough. I never expected that it would have completely separated so quickly.
But, it did.
And it totally explained why those first brush strokes just didn’t look like the same Revere Pewter I was used to. All of the gray was at the top while all of the warm beige had fallen to the bottom. Boo.
We closed up the messed up paint, opened up a fresh can and finished the first coat. I went up yesterday afternoon and the walls are looking very splotchy :) Hopefully a second coat of FULLY MIXED paint will cover right over it and we’ll be good to go.
So lesson of the day … don’t forget to stir your paint.
We are hoping to get the paint finished, closet built out, trim up and light fixture switch out this week. I’ll keep you posted!