I’ve been searching for the perfect chair for my desk for quite a while. I had a list of criteria – style, comfort, no arms and most importantly height – which made finding the right chair super difficult. I narrowed it down to these choices a month or so ago, but never felt 100% about any of them.
(note: I know a ‘real’ office chair is probably the most practical decision with the adjustable seat and ergonomic design, but I just couldn’t do it. My need for pretty won out).
While walking the aisles of Target last week (actually looking for a stool for Ryan’s newly designed office), this swoop arm herringbone chair caught my eye. The lines are great, the style is slightly masculine which I like, it is petite and comfortable to sit in. BUT, the seat height was off by about an inch.
That’s when this little genius idea hit me: add casters!
So off we went to the hardware store. I bought a pack of the smallest casters they had, came home, did a google search and realized there are a whole lot prettier options out there but they are much more expensive and I’m too impatient to wait for reproduction brass casters to ship. So I just went with these.
Screwing into the legs made me a tiny nervous – not knowing if they would split when I drilled into them – but then figured I could replace the legs if needed and sometimes you just have to take the risk.
First, I marked the holes on the bottom of the legs. Then pre-drilled the holes. And screwed in the casters. No splits! It was a proud moment.
The extra 1.5 inches of the casters brings the chair to the perfect height for my desk. And I actually think the chair looks more proportional with the added height.
Yesterday was my first real work day using the chair and I’m pleased to say, it was comfortable, the wheels are surprisingly convenient and my shoulders didn’t ache.
The search is over.
And lesson learned: if you can’t find what you’re looking for, improvise.