You may remember a few weeks ago I posted about rearranging the living room. While creating the design board and editing the post photos, I kept feeling like everything was just so monotone.
Gray rug, beige sofa, taupe chairs, dark floors, dark coffee table, gray stone on the fireplace.
Now I’m all about neutrals, but part of doing them well is making sure you have a nice mix of contrast. Different shades, different sheen, different textures. I’m no decorating expert, but I’m learning to trust my design instincts and something felt off.
I looked around at my favorite rooms on my pinterest living room board and noticed a recurring theme:
White walls/ceiling (check)
Linen or white upholstered pieces (check)
Natural wood tones (check)
Light rug (hmmmm).
Maybe that was what our living room needed.
So I kept my eyes peeled for a light rug and found this one on sale for 70% off. I took the plunge and called it a birthday gift :)
The rug arrived this week and I couldn’t wait to unroll and rearrange (once again).
Everything was put back together and now looks like this:
After a few days of living with it, here are my thoughts:
- Love the soft, cushy feel of the new rug.
- Love the light color.
- Not sure how well it will hold up with our busy household.
- It was very inexpensive, so I don’t feel like it’s precious and can’t be replaced.
- The zig zags are more brown than gray, but I think it’s okay.
- There’s a lot of pattern happening in this room. Maybe too much.
- The rug smells so chemically. It needs to be aired out.
- The gray rug hides dirt and gives a nice, cozy texture, but sheds so much it was driving me crazy.
- I’m undecided on which one is better.
So that’s where were at.