This is the outfit I wore yesterday:
It’s still warm outside (in the low 70′s) and so I’m still dressing summery-ish with short sleeves and cropped jeans and flats. The white shirt I put on (a cute hand-me-down from my sister – originally from jcrew) got me thinking about how it was supposed to be the final day of wearing white until spring. You know the old rule: no white after Labor Day. So I did a few seconds of research and discovered that it was a fashion tradition stemmed from class divisions in the early 1900′s (here’s a quick article from time magazine).
Turns out, rules are meant to be broken (especially silly ones like this) and while white linen and gauzy silk may not be the best choices for cooler weather, wearing white during the fall and winter is not only okay, it’s also very stylish.
I hung out on pinterest for a little bit (okay, way too long) and found a handful of Autumn outfits that all include white.
Do you ever look at outfit ideas on pinterest? It’s super inspiring and these particular outfits make me excited for cooler weather. I want to wear each and every one.
So in the spirit of breaking the ‘no white after labor day rule’, I’ve shopped around online and found six of my favorite white pieces to take us into fall.
1. J.Crew Quilted Vest // great layering piece with a tshirt or button up under. I love the gold zipper and snaps on this one.
2. Noonday Monaco Necklace // cow bone + brass = yes, please. I bought this for myself at my first noonday party and it is beautiful in person.
3. J.Crew Endless Shirt // this longer version of a classic white shirt is another great layering piece. Wear over leggings or skinny jeans, add a sweater or scarf or maybe a belt? Is that still cute? I don’t know.
4. Boden Grace Sweater // love the neckline and 3/4 sleeves and the chunky knit. It’s more expensive than what I normally pay, but maybe since it is such a classic piece, it’s worth the investment.
5. J.Crew Factory Midrise Skinny Cords // a more fallish alternative to white jeans (although I think you can do white denim too).
6. H&M Cable-knit Sweater // cable-knit is always good, plus this is a slouchy longer-in-the-back cut that makes it interesting.
Good options, right? I’d love to hear your thoughts … are you a rule follower or breaker when it comes to wearing white after labor day?